Emathar
ಠ_ಠ why are you not logged in? ಠ_ಠ

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Emathar
ಠ_ಠ why are you not logged in? ಠ_ಠ
Emathar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Galaxy: Dóren's Eye

3 posters

Go down

Galaxy: Dóren's Eye Empty Galaxy: Dóren's Eye

Post  Terry Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:40 pm

Dóren is the Divinity of the sky, so i thought It would be appropriate to name a large "portion" of the sky after him.

Dóren's Eye is a ring shaped galaxy, visible to the naked eye most of the year. Its called Dóren's eye, because it looks like an eye.

I uploaded a photo on the wiki. I guess we can't upload stuff on this site because we don't have any storage allowance.

As for size (in the sky, not actual size) i'd say about 1/2(was 1/6th, but then I looked at the moon and said "hmmm not big enough") the size that our moon normally is. so, its a pretty large object in the sky but its not completely intruding. Big enough that you can see the ring around it.

Galaxy: Dóren's Eye 230px-Hoag%27s_object

Last edited by B_Rad12 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:52 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Human _Dormo_ > _Dóren_)
Terry
Terry
Admin

http://lazyredfox.com

Back to top Go down

Galaxy: Dóren's Eye Empty Re: Galaxy: Dóren's Eye

Post  B_Rad Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:27 pm

EXCELLENT! I am voting for this one. I saw the picture and it's perfect.
B_Rad
B_Rad

Back to top Go down

Post  Terry Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:07 pm

cheers

I don't know where it will be in the sky yet. I'm sure once we get some more content we can start making a map for the constellations as well.
Terry
Terry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  talllankywhiteboy Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Quick note. While we cannot host images on the forum, we are still able to host them on the wiki. We can then link to the images' urls.
talllankywhiteboy
talllankywhiteboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Terry Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:22 pm

talllankywhiteboy wrote:Quick note. While we cannot host images on the forum, we are still able to host them on the wiki. We can then link to the images' urls.

smart man. didn't think about that!
Terry
Terry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  talllankywhiteboy Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:18 pm

I just wanted to point out a small bit of physics here. Having any galaxy appear "bigger" in the night sky implies that it is closer to the planet of observation. The effect is that the "eye" galaxy would be close enough to the "observing" galaxy as to cause an absolutely massive gravitation pull, which would in turn lead to the galaxies' inevitable collision.

I'm not saying this to try to tear down the idea, but I just want us to consider some "alternative" approaches and their possible consequences. Do we make one or both of the galaxies have less mass? Do we run with the idea of inevitable collision? Do we not care about the distant implications of what we are setting up?
talllankywhiteboy
talllankywhiteboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Terry Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:51 pm

meh, you have a point. I'm an advocate for saying "well thats just the way it is" but If we have any ideas to solve the problem I'm up for it
Terry
Terry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  B_Rad Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:45 pm

I don't really see a problem with the galaxies getting progressively closer.

For example, in our world it's known that the Andromeda galaxy IS coming closer to earth, but it's estimated that it will take a few thousand years for us to even measure its exact trajectory, much less whether it will collide with the Milky Way at all. Few things in nature travel in straight lines anyways.

I say we keep Terry's idea, and perhaps we can eventually use the colliding of the two galaxies (after a long period of time) as an effective "judgement" upon the earth to mark the end of time. It would be cool.
B_Rad
B_Rad

Back to top Go down

Post  Terry Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:22 pm

B_Rad12 wrote:I say we keep Terry's idea

I'm loved!
Terry
Terry
Admin

Back to top Go down